Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:34:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        flaw <flaw@vt.edu>
Cc:        George Reid <greid@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD VM

On 16-Nov-00 flaw wrote:
> Maybe due to the amount of memory, the program is still in memory so no page
> faults are induced.  But why cnt.v_vm_faults (cnt is the vmmeter) are
> incremented much more frequently than p->p_stats->p_ru.ru_majflt?  Also, the
> swapper process with pid 0 (why pid 0?) has ru_majflt the same as
> cnt.v_vm_faults.
>
> Any help and explanation is appreciated.

Well, the swapper is actually a kernel process, so it doesn't have to swap in
any text via pageins for itself.  However, it faults in other processes, and
those pagein's are presumably counted both by cnt.v_vm_faults and majflt.  As
for why v_vm_faults is incremented more often, I'm not sure.  Perhaps majflt
doesn't take COW faults into account.  You might want to ask this on
hackers@FreeBSD.org instead. :)