Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 15:28:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>, Michael Aronsen <mar@netcentralen.dk>, "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mylex controllers?

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> The controller isn't the problem, it's CAM.  You could try this patch:
[...snip...]
> which will hide the physical channels from CAM.  This means that
> non-disk peripherals on the controller SCSI busses won't work,
> which will get me another set of whining complaints from different
> people. 8(

Maybe, but probably not.  I for one am not using it for anything but
RAID volumes.  I would never try to use a RAID controller for anything
but RAID volumes (or even JBOD) anyway.

You can't use non-disk devices with any of the other non-CAMified RAID
controller drivers, can you?  If you disable non-disk devices in mly,
most people would assume that RAID controllers just don't/shouldn't do
non-disk devices, at least in FreeBSD.

If you think it would piss anybody off, make it a compile-time option
wether or not the mly driver supports non-disk devices.  Or even
better, a sysctl tunable that can be set from the loader, just like
hw.ata.* (hw.mly.cam_nondisk_filter?).  My vote would be to _not_
support non-disk devices by default, but that might break POLA. :-)

> Please, someone actually acknowledge that they're hearing me on
> this?  I've sent over a dozen responses to complaints about
> backplane issues, and heard *nothing* in reply.

A commit you made sometime in late-4.2-STABLE solved my backplane
issues.  Thanks!

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org