Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:41:30 -0700
From:      "George Shapiro" <gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us
Subject:   installation problems

I am trying to install FreeBSD on an old 486/overdrive machine.  The
motherboard is manufactured by Micron and the bios does not support
booting from CDROM.

Here is the problem:

Attempting to boot from kern.flp, the little spinner spins for a bit and
then an error comes up (and I paraphrase) "/boot/loader" not found. I am
then returned to a "boot:" prompt.  Pressing return for the default
setting gives me
"/kernel" not found.  The default is something like "0:(a,?)..."

I have ascertained that there is nothing wrong with the boot disks (they
were made on this machine).  Furthermore I was able to install Debian
from disk so I assume there is nothing wrong with the floppy I/O.

Some incompatibility between between the boot loader and the bios disk
identification? any ideas?