Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 01:42:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        vagner@spdc.ti.com (George Vagner)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: books

George Vagner wrote:
> I have the opportunity to order as many books as i need to for free
> from my job so i ordered "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD OS"
> 1996 as suggested by some of the great people on the list.

Whoa, happy times are here again! Send me some ;)

> What are some mandatory books on BSD i may need.??
>
> especially stuff on "How To's"

Take that blank company purchase order, point your browser at
www.ora.com (O'Reilly Associates) and say yes to everything :)

Well, any title with an "x" or a "BSD" in the title...

Look for "Essential System Administration" or whatever. Pick up a
Perl book, maybe sendmail if you're into that, maybe "DNS and Bind".
Don't overlook books on X. (O'Reilly has some of these -- slightly
dated, but what isn't).  Look through the Nutshell series.

from other places, look for

	W.R. Stevens, (any title), especially "Advanced Programming
in the Unix Environment", "Unix Network Programming" (2nd edition!),
and his stuff on the TCP protocol, whose title(s) I can't recall.

Oh, yeah -- get Greg Lehey's book, the one he spams (just joking!)
on this list all the time. (The Complete FreeBSD).  I imagine Walnut
Creek sells it.

The F.S.F sells some bound versions of documentation for gcc, gdb
and certain other GNU utilities.

Dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'

Don Quixote: `You are mistaken, Sancho.'