Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

Well, Linus is officially committed to it, IIRC.  Go read the web page
that was given in the e-mail... I quote:

"Everyone needs a good source management system. Since we are a Linux
based company, we are especially tuned to the needs of the Linux team:
Linus really needs good source management. The current Linux development
model has some problems and Linus needs tools to help solve those
problems. Without a decent distributed source management system, all of
the merging and tracking work falls on Linus' shoulders and that is
getting to be way too much for any one person, even someone like Linus.
The goal of the Bitkeeper effort is to provide tools that help the Linux
kernel effort, and more specifically, help Linus. If the tool is good
enough for the Linux effort, it is more than capable enough for just about
any other task.

The problem with most systems is that they don't scale. They all work
great for 1-5 developers. It doesn't matter which one you choose. However,
they all tend to fall apart when you have 1000 developers. Since we have
experience in source management, having designed and implemented most of
Sun's TeamWare source management system, we are quite familiar with the
scaling problem and feel that we can provide a better, more scalable and
more reliable answer. We did it before, and this one is better."

and

"Release plans are delayed due to Linus' desire to have the LOD feature
supported in version 1.0."

If that's not enough, go skim the linux-kernel archives.

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Wrong.  They have Larry McVoy's "BitKeeper", which addresses a
>
> Who's "they", and please don't answer "The Linux community" or
> anything else which is equivalently vague to the point of absurdity,
> please be specific.  Which group(s) are using it and what are the URLs
> pointing to on-line proof of this in each case?
>
> I ask these questions because your statement strongly implies that
> this technology is in active use now by "them" and that contradicts
> other statements I heard at USENIX, making the question of tangible
> proof somewhat relevant in deciding which story is true.
>
> Also please note that I'm not asking "which people will be using
> bitkeeper" or "which people are thinking of using bitkeeper", I'm
> asking who the current, active poster-children users of this product
> are.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet