Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 23:13:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What string to filter FreeBSD lists?

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 06:19:41 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> >	the only two possilbilities are owner-freebsd-<listname> and
> >	owner-<listname>
>
> Should we send you emails that are not filtered by any of these two.
> :-)
>
> On second thought those two strings will not do what I want. I want
> messages sent "to me" to go somewhere separate from the messages sent
> "to the list". I have never had a problem filtering the list, but if I
> used the strings you suggest I would get dups in each folder I have for
> each list.

In my procmail filter, the first thing that happens is that dups
are zapped.  This is done by keeping a cache of message-id's.

# Weed out duplicate messages
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

Then for the freebsd lists, I have a two level filter rule.
Anything from an "owner" at freebsd.org gets in the first level
and the second level splits things up appropriately.  I've never
had any problems with things landing in the wrong places.

# Messages from any of the freebsd mailing lists...
:0
* ^Sender:.*owner.*@.*freebsd.org$
{
  :0