Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Bob Wirka <bobwirka@inwave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP Stack

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Bob Wirka wrote:

> Hello,
> Is the TCP/IP stack supplied with FreeBSD suitable for porting to an
> embedded system?  This seems like a back-door approach to getting a
> TCP/IP stack, but I'm doing a project that involves implementing TCP/IP
> on a single board embedded computer. Is the stack tighly linked to the
> OS? Can the stack be implemented by itself (with suitable glue code and
> packet drivers)?
> Any help you can give would be appreciated.

The BSD TCP/IP stack has been ported extensively to other platforms,
there are some issues you'll come across but it's definetly a better
start than rolling your own.

About the packet drivers concept, the freebsd ethernet device drivers
are not overly complex, why not take a look:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_fxp.c?rev=1.70

-Alfred