Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:03:44 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "pan" <pan@syix.com>, "freeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I set vidcontrol modes?

> Look at what is listed in the "size" column from
> _vidcontrol -i mode_
>
> i.e. 40x25, 132x43, etc.
> those are exactly the "keywords" you are looking for and
> exactly what you were told the first time.

And that's exactly what doesn't work.  In the list of valid modes produced by
the command, one contains "132x50" in the "size" column.  However, when I try to
specify this, I get

freebie# vidcontrol 132x50
vidcontrol: cannot set videomode: Invalid argument

> And - pay heed to the comment about
> 'options VESA' in your KERNCONFIG,
> especially if you want 132x43 or similiar.

I have, and I've loaded the VESA support per the man page.

> Careful reading of _man vidcontrol_ would have shown
> you all this and more.

No, careful reading of the man page provided no information on what field to
enter for the mode (based on the list of available modes), and does not explain
the error message that I received above.  If it did, I wouldn't have to ask the
question here.