Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 1996 12:07:28 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changes for vfork()

<<On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:27:14 -0400 (EDT), Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu> said:

> we sort of talked about, I think it's time to declare this an obsolete
> syscall and perhaps move the vfork() call in libc to libcompat,
> libc/compat-43, or libc/????  (I really don't know where it should go).

There is no reason to move it at this point.  Certainly it needs to be
part of libc for the forseeable future.  Just declare it as COMPAT
in syscalls.master, change the kernel code, and document vfork as
being an obsolete synonym for fork.  Then create
libc/compat-43/vfork.c:

------------------------------------
/* This code is in the public domain. */
#include <unistd.h>

int
vfork(void)
{
	return fork();
}

and everything should Just Work.  (Make sure to do all of these steps
before recompiling the world, though.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.