Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 00:50:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
To:        mjung@npc.net (Jung, Michael)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X and SSH

Jung, Michael wrote:

 > I have been reading these threads and unless I missed something
 > this has not seen this addressed.  Suppose you use ssh, tterm etc to
 > securely connect to a host.  Once on the host you want to export your
 > display back to a client so you can bring up a X application.  How does
 > one have the X session encrypted?

ssh does this for you:  It automatically sets up your $DISPLAY to
point to a tunnel passed back across the encrypted session.  All
X11 traffic is encrypted as a result (unless you override the
$DISPLAY setting by manually setting it or passing a -display
parameter to an X client).

You can get a similar effect by running:

    ssh -R 6009:localhost:6000 foo.bar.com

... and manually setting your $DISPLAY to localhost:9.0 when you
have successfully logged in to it.  You never need to do this manually,
though, because ssh configures X11 forwarding by default.

   - mark