Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:22:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        matrix@ipform.ru
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which is the most secure and reliable ftp daemon

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I just audited my system for security and it came up that i am
>running inetd ONLY because ftp daemon is needed.

As for getting rid of inetd, check the "-D" flag in ftpd(8): it allows
you to run ftpd stand-alone.

[...]

>Please, share your experience with different ftp daemons.
>I need something very reliable, secure and configurable.
>Currently i am thinking about wu-ftpd and proftpd, but both
>of them have history of security flaws.

>If i find, i could finaly turn off inetd and save myself some
>RAM and maybe even tighten security.

The stock ftpd in FreeBSD has had few security problems.  If you want
to be paranoid, you could always run it in a jail(8).

The area where FreeBSD's ftpd looses is "configurable" -- depending on
how many bells and whistles you need.

    $.02,
    /Mikko
--