Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:28:21 -0000
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Edwin Culp" <eculp@EnContacto.Net>, "Christian Hamm" <slice@inga.augusta.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound problem with CS4630

> I've got a CS4236B that I would love to get working.  I can't even boot
with the
> kernel options device pcm and device sbc that according to NOTES Supports
ESS
> cards and I get a kernel panic on reboot.  Could the 4614 help get the
4236
> working?

that has got to be one of the least coherent questions i've ever seen.

the cs4236b is a crystal semiconductor chip.  the cs4236 is not soundblaster
compatible, so the sbc device is not involved in its support.  it is not
made by ess, so they are also not involved.

the cs46xx/4280 chips are totally different than the cs423x chips, being pci
based rather than isa.

the cs423x chips are mss workalikes, and should work.  some info on your
setup, kernel version etc would be helpful.

    -cg