Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:23:41 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file system full help

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 06:46:14AM -0800, Noah wrote:
> I sometimes get reports of "file system full" but not accurately because when
> viewing the drive with "df -k" I find there is adequate space on the drive.
> Usually this is casused by log files considered larger than the available
> space on the /var directory.

That you don't have adequate space for the task at hand. In this case
compressing the log (this means the source needs to be arround wile a
new bzip file is created) and create a new fresh file.

>  I would like to see if this in fact the case.
>
> Can somebody please remind me what commands I can use to troubleshoot this
> current condition?

Use 'du -s * | sort -n' to find the largest files

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.

Howtos based on my personal use, including information about
setting up a firewall and creating traffic graphs with MRTG
http://alex.kruijff.org/FreeBSD/