Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:57:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Isaac Waldron <waldroni@lr.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail

Has anyone been able to stop sendmail from performing DNS lookups?  I
have a dial-up connection to my ISP which is currently set up to dial-
on-demand (userland PPP).  I have read the FAQ section on dial-up mail
as well as the configuration pages at http://www.sendmail.org/.
Unfortunately, I've been unable to keep sendmail from causing a dial-
out on startup.  When run as sendmail -d it dials out after the line:

	getauthinfo: root@localhost

is printed to the terminal.  The hostname in the sendmail.mc/hosts
files is not a real domain name, yota.lr.net does not exist except on
my machine.  I would like sendmail to only dial-out when there is mail
in the queue.  Any help/webpages would be helpful.

Isaac Waldron
waldroni@lr.net

P.S. Below is some information which I think is pertinent to my question.

uname -a output:

FreeBSD yota.lr.net 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: \
Sat Jan 22 17:04:58 EST 2000     \
iwaldron@yota:/usr/src/sys/compile/YOTA-20000122  i386

sendmail.mc:

VERSIONID(`@(#) sendmail.mc 1.1')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)
FEATURE(nouucp)
Cwlocalhost
Cwyota.lr.net
MASQUERADE_AS(`lr.net')
FEATURE(allmasquerade)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(nocanonify)
FEATURE(nodns)
FEATURE(genericstable)
GENERICS_DOMAIN(`yota.lr.net')
define(SMART_HOST, `mail1.lr.net')
Dmyota.lr.net
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `True')
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `yota.lr.net')
define(`confDELIVERY_MODE', `deferred')
define(SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS, `e')
define(`confSERVICE_SWITCH_FILE', `/etc/service.switch')
define(`confHOSTS_FILE', `/etc/hosts')
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `-DNSRCH -DEFNAMES')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)

hosts:

127.0.0.1	localhost yota.lr.net

resolv.conf (note: nameserver addresses are x'ed-out:

domain lr.net

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.x

service.switch: