Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 06:55:29 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "adi milis" <milisadi@YAHOO.COM>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: startx

----- Original Message -----
From: "adi milis" <milisadi@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2000 6:58 AM
Subject: startx

> Hii FreeBSD'ers
>
> I use FreeBSD-3.2. I installed XFree, and I believe I
> followed all the instructions. Monitor type : AOC
> Spectrum 5Elr, with specifications :
> Horizontal Synchronization : 30KHz - 54KHz
> automatically.
> Vertical Synchronization : 50KHz - 120KHz
> automatically.
> Max Resolution : 1024 x 768
> Video bandwidth : 65MHz ( where could I configure this
> one ? )
> Factory Preset Timings : 7
> The problem is 'Why everything seems 3 or four times
> bigger ?'

It has to do with the modelines you have available at the beginning of your
XF86Config. Later on in that file where it has the set for default depth,
under that depth are your available resolutions. The first resolution on
that line will be your default res. This resolution can be changed to the
other resolutions on that line (while in an x11 session) by using the
ctrl+alt and <-/+> together, for smaller or larger . It takes some playing
with and tweaking at first to understand it, but once you see how it works,
you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to modify. You said it comes
up too big... so you have video. That's a good start. You can work from
there. Try the ctrl+alt+<-/+> and edit your XF86Config as I mentioned
earlier to get the default res you want. Hint: make sure you have write
privs on that file before you start tweaking it. Otherwise, it won't save.
-Otter
p.s. No, I don't Yahoo! (see below)

> Shall I also put my /etc/XF86Config here ?

if you don't uunderstand what i just wrote above, go ahead.

> Thanks

No thanks. I'm driving.