Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:26:17 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.org>
To:        m.ehinger@ltur.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Active Protection System Approach

On 22/08/2005, at 10:08, m.ehinger@ltur.de wrote:

> what would be the best approach to implement aps on FreeBSD?
>
> I got an Accelerometer driver which will deliver data. First =20
> Version is available at
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?=20
> group_id=3D138242&package_id=3D160977
>
> We have to poll the device for information quiet often to detect a =20
> possible shock early enough to park disk drive heads.

Urhm, what type of "accidents" is it we want to protect against here ?

It will take several tens of mS to get the heads parked if not =20
hundreds, and the worst case scenario would be that the "accident" =20
will happen just as the heads are on the way to the parking zone =20
which would *really* destroy data on there, unless the disk has =20
special HW to just quickly lift the heads or something.

> What else must be done to prevent a possible data loss?

I think this will need to be tailored to the exact type of "mishap" =20
one wants to protect against.

If this is a way to protect against dropping a notebook on the floor =20
then there won't be time for much else than trying to rush the heads =20
to the parking zone.
In other setups a flush of buffers (OS level as well as HW level) =20
could be preferred if power loss or HW failure was imminent.

- S=F8ren