Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:23:03 -0700
From:      "wbs" <wbs@redrock.net>
To:        "Kyle Pos" <linkkyle@netscape.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Size of FreeBSD

If you're talking about downloading everything you find on the CDs you're
talking hundreds of MB.  If you're talking about a really bare bones system
it's a lot less.  If you're going to download the minimum to get it
installed onto a DOS/Windows partition you can probably get by with less
than 50 MB of free space on the DOS partition and the minimum space for your
FreeBSD partition might be less than 100 MB.  If you're going to do X
windows you need more space.  If you're going to do any development you'll
need space for the development tools and libraries.  If you're going to
build yourself a custom kernel you'll need more space.  There is a certain
amount of working space needed for that.  You also need to download all the
kernel source code.

There are a lot of packages in the ports collection.  They can take up a lot
of disk space but you don't necesarily need to download them all.

So the answer to your question is "It depends ... "