Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:31:49 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>, David Bigagli -Bokis- <davidb@caspur.it>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X for freebsd

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 at 11:13 SAT, Keith Jones wrote:

> yeah, I have noticed that XFree86 doesn't appear to be on a lot of the
> mirror sites. I don't know whether it's deliberate or an error. I _do_
> know that the XFree86 distribution is quite large, though, which may be
> why a lot of mirror sites don't hold it.

I have an alternative theory:  If you look on ftp.freebsd.org, under
/pub/FreeBSD/<version number>/, you'll note that the directory containing the
XFree86 distribution is in fact a symlink to a directory which does _not_
fall under the /pub/FreeBSD tree.

I think many mirror sites have simply got their mirroring software set up to
mirror the /pub/FreeBSD tree, and therefore accidentally miss out on the X11
distribution.

To compound the problem, it seems that the FreeBSD sysinstall (up to 2.2.6-R,
at least) program silently ignores the fact that it can't find this
distribution, leading users to _think_ that they've installed an X-enabled
box when they, in fact, haven't.

I've already complained to my closest mirror site about it - I suggest others
do the same...

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878