Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 04:28:48 PDT
From:      "Albert Fields" <afieldsml@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   pnp(4) no longer allowed by userconfig, pnp0 missing

Passing this on to freebsd-questions and freebsd-hardware (originally posted
in -stable), because I am unsure of which ml is most on topic.
-----

Hi,

	I've been searching all the mailing lists and have seen many people asking
my question, but no responses to it. (From what I can see.) The question is
this: What happened to the pnp support in user config in 4.0?  The man page
pnp(4) is still there, although inaccurate, and from what I've looked though
in the past two days, support for pnp configuration at boot seems to have
disappeared.  What's going on?  I have hesitated to bring myself up past
4.0-STABLE (don't feel like messing around much and need stability on this
machine), but I am seriously considering it if I need to, to add PnP
support.  If I went to -current, would PnP be restored?
	When I added the entry 'controller pnp0' as suggested by the pnp(4) manpage
to my kernel config (which seemed strange to me because it was called
controller), config said that 'controller' was depreciated and to use
device.  When I added the entry 'device pnp0', config told me it couldn't
find the device pnp.  So where has it gone?
	As far as I can see this is a large inconvenience for a number of people,
so can someone please advice what can be done to configure PnP devices from
/boot/kernel.conf or by other means at boot?  Is there a substitute or other
command that can be used in it's place?  Was it depreciated?  If so, by
what?  Why was this removed?  Etc... etc...

	Usually this wouldn't be a concern, because I would just let it set itself,
and forget it. (Plug'n Pray)  However, I am running low on IRQs and need to
move some things around; I want to give IRQs to devices that are coming up
with 'can't assign resources'... Otherwise I can't get all the devices
working due to stupidity in hardware.  Some are on-board devices on the ISA
side.
	I was considering to just go out and buy better hardware, but I don't want
to give up since, IMHO, I think in most cases the software should be made to
run on hardware, not the converse. (Plus, I wanted to get this specific
hardware running.)  It is a tight fit getting all the peripherals working,
but it will fit if I can get the PnP side working.

Thanks for helping me, and others who have this same problem,
	Albert Fields