Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 19:35:55 -0400
From:      "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Midnight Commander

Quoting Sue Blake (sue@welearn.com.au):
> We're seeing a few common favourites among the top tens.
> It might be helpful to hear a bit about how people are using them.
>
> Midnight Commander is something that has as many uses as there are
> people using it. It's great for poking around directories, copying and
> moving files, and you've still got a command prompt there all the time.

I just wonder whether MC is good for a newbie. If our prototypical newbie
was using FreeBSD to better understand UNIX and how to navigate around
UNIX filesystems, MC might be a crutch that would cause more harm in the
longrun (nothing like having to get down and dirty with ls, rm, mv, etc.).
But, as I've mentioned in a previous post, each and every newbie comes to
FreeBSD with different needs and goals.

In the case of my girlfriend, she wants to learn UNIX properly and I've
installed FreeBSD2.2.6 on her system to help her with this. She's now
getting such a good fundamental understanding of the basic UNIX commands
that I wouldn't want to let her *near* MC at this stage (and she wouldn't
have it any other way :)  ).

Of course, nethack is a different story. ;)

Peter Pawelek (ppawel@axess.com)