Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:07:04 -0700 (PWT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Alpha Multia (

> > > [SNIP]
> >
> > Yes, but only for the multia.
>
> I'd be interested in finding out whether this is a 'FreeBSD thing' or a
> 'Multia thing.'  I also run a 500au which does not show any signs of this
> problem.  Of course, the Multia is a cat with different spots.  Short of
> running NetBSD or Linux for a few weeks, does anyone have any suggestions

I've had it do this occasionally on Linux, but only for a really flakey
older multia (is there any other kind)? I've not had this happen under
NetBSD, but I haven't run NetBSD under load on a multia in 2 years.

> on how to try to narrow the possibilities of what could be causing these
> reboots without panics?
>
> Also, does anyone out there have Multia success stories, or are we the
> only ones unlucky enough to be bothering with them?

These are success stories. They allow somebody to try the alpha
architecture for < 500$. If you then realize that this particular alpha is
5-6 year old technology and quite quite slow, but otherwise seems
interesting, you're then probably interested enough to spend the 2-4K$ for
a ev56 type system that actually is quite usable.