Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:04:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vic tuner patches work great, mostly

> TSIA. The brightness is a bit wacky - it rolls over in the middle of the
> slider, from bright to dark.

i know. And the funny thing is, it works fine with the meteor.  I
am pretty sure it is some signed/unsigned problem in interpreting
the value. Either the meteor or the brooktree should be fixed (and
I am afraid that probably the meteor will have to be changed, since
too many people use fxtv...

> BTW, what does `Thre' mean?  It's some sort of threshold on quality but
> I'm not sure.

right. The routine in vic to determine if a block has changed
computes a partial difference and then compares it with a threshold.

In the original sources (grabber.h ?) the threshold is fixed at
48, I wanted to experiment a little bit with different ones, because
in some situations (e.g. poor lighting, or neon lights) the output
of the camera can be very noisy and it pays to raise the threshold.

> And someone needs to fix the vic port -- it blows up if the qcam-grabber
> is built on my machine.  I have to go in and hand-remove it from the
> build.

is this after the qcam driver removal in 2.2.6 ? I am still having the
qcam driver compiled in into 2.2.1 and it seems to work.

	cheers
	luigi