Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:54:24 GMT
From:      bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How many virtual ttys?

This may seem like a silly question, but I've been wondering about this
for quite some time.

When the kernel boots, when it gets to sd0, it says:

	sd0 on isa
	sd0: vaga color <16 virtual consoles, flags = 0x0>

But after the booting is finished, only Alt-F1 to Alt-F8
work. And when I do

	ps -waux | grep tty

I can only see ttyv0 to ttyv7, apart from the console where I logged in.

So, question: where have the other 8 virtual consoles gone?

--
	Bart.