Date:      Fri, 2 May 2003 15:35:14 +0700
From:      =?Windows-1251?B?9fPl8PPq?= <anyher@ngs.ru>
To:        Vulpes Velox <kitlists@hotpop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: wierd problem involving the command make install

Hello Vulpes,

Saturday, May 3, 2003, 12:39:58 PM, you wrote:

VV> ad1: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
VV> ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
VV> done
VV> ...the drive appears to be working fine and I have managed to cat and cp large chunks of both file systems with out problems. The only thing I have managed to come up with is a possible virus or
VV> something is major misconfigured. Any one have any ideas one this.
VV> -VV

my  idea :  when  you run  make  install , possibly large part of
ram is  used  by some program X .. so you had less ram  for cache ,
and hdd begins to move head *much* more active then when you  use cp
... so head diresction mechanism falls (with a very special sound like
a clam-clam ). Defined  problem is  not  so exotic - some  10gb
quantum lct drives  was working  fine  under freebsd , bad under winNT
and  fails on boot  on win9X ..

what hardware do you hawe ?
I know some trobles  like this on old
fujitsu hdds , that are declares that can run on ATA 66 but dont run realy
runs ...
Also  ata cables can die some time .. :)

p.s sorry for  my bad  english :)
--
Best regards,
 kirill , 64647619(at)icq                            mailto:anyher@ngs.ru