Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to Get Source from CD CVS Repository

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use the second cdrom of the 2.2.6-RELEASE distribution
> > to put sources on the hard drive.
> >
> > I have set the environmental variable CVSROOT to /cdrom/CVSROOT
>
> Okay, that should be right.
>
> > I created a supfile to use with cvsup, telling it to put the
> > files in /opt:
>
> You don't use cvsup to access a repository, you use it to _update_ it ..

Access?  Update?  Anyway I think I could probably run cvsupd and then
access the files on the disk (repository?) with cvsup.  However, let's
proceed with cvs:

> > I tried using cvs, like this:
> > cd /opt/src
> > # that's where I want the stuff put
> > setenv CVSROOT /cdrom/CVSROOT
> > cvs checkout -d . -r RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE src
> > but get various error messages--I think there's something I don't
> > understand about this.
>
> What errors do you get?   The -d . argument is redundant.

The error is that it can't set a lock file.  However there's a -R
global option (per Jordan Hubbard) to cvs that tells it it's accessing
a read-only repository (or whatever you want to call it).  This eliminates
the lock-file error.  The above (without the redundant -d argument) will
then create the src directory (and appropriate subdirs) in the directory
from which cvs is called.

If one wants the most recent source, it might be better to leave out
the -r argument or use -r HEAD; would that be correct?  Many of the
files include a RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE tag (which is what I meant to write
above) but with some other stuff after it, different for each file.  So
this tag might not get the most recent.

Thanks--

	Annelise