Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:11:41 -0800
From:      "Michael D. Harlan" <r3mdh@rworld.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMTP Server / Pop-Authentication

Hi All,

I'm embarassed to be writing to this list today.  Perhaps the flu has
impeded my ability to figure this out on my own...

I'm using mutt as my e-mail client.  mutt-1.2.5 to be exact.  I'm have a
cable modem connection to my ISP, where my POP e-mail box resides. They
have 2 servers to process mail, 1 for pop (incoming) mail and 1 for SMTP
(outgoing) mail.  I'm using fetchmail to get my mail from the ISP.  No
problems there.  However, I'm having some problems sending mail through
the SMTP server.

Am I correct in thinking that I should edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file
to read:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSsmtp.mail.myisp.com

where 'smtp.mail.myisp.com' is the hostname of the SMTP server?  I did
this and when I sent out a test e-mail, I got the response:

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 521 Mail not accepted from this domain: 521
myisp.com closing transmission channel.  You must be pop-authenticated
before you can use this smtp server, and you must use your mail address
for the Sender/From field.

I'm not very savvy with sendmail configuration.  At least not yet.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction on how to tell sendmail what my
userid and password are for the SMTP server?  Or is there an easier way to
do this?  (I have a tendancy to take the path of MOST resistance :) )

I TRULY appreciate any help that you can provide.

Sincerely,
Mike Harlan
r3mdh@rworld.org