Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:46:31 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW modify the "simple" rule set 4.2 to allow ...

[ freebsd-net removed ]

++ 24/01/01 08:07 -0500 - John Telford:
>I'd like to get the settings in the right place so I'm asking the experts. Freebsd 4.2 release with firewall type set to "simple".
>It works but I'd like to allow 2 things through.
>SSH connections from the public side to the firewall.

You'll need to modify /etc/rc.firewall.  Look through until you see something
like:

[Ss][Ii][Mm][Pp][Ll][Ee])
        ############
        # This is a prototype setup for a simple firewall.  Configure this
        # machine as a named server and ntp server, and point all the machines
        # on the inside at this machine for those services.
        ############

Scroll down and before the command that says "Reject&Log all setup of incoming
connections ...", add:

	# Allow access to SSH
	${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to ${oip} 22 setup

>Connections to a Web server on the inside.

I'm not quite sure what you mean - do you have a webserver on another port?
WWW is already allowed through in the simple firewall type.

>Thanks in advance. John.

-pete

--
Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>