Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:08:29 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Eric Patterson <ericp@ro.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfsd send error 55

In the last episode (Jul 16), Eric Patterson said:
> I have a machine running freebsd 2.2.6-RELEASE.  Attached to it is a
> RAID (CMD TECH CRD-5440 controller).  It is mounted as one big 128 GB
> file system.  Several machines in turn mount this file system via
> nfs.  Most of the NFS clients are running IRIX.  Quite often in a
> day, I get the following message on the console of the freebsd NFS
> server:
>
> <date/time/hostname> /kernel: nfsd send error 55
> <date/time/hostname> last message repeated X times
>
> None of the users of the NFS clients ever complain.  I haven't
> noticed any other really strange behavior.

55 is the errno number for "No buffer space available".  So your
ethernet card is backing up too much data.  Take a look at your
network; cable speed, switches, cards, etc:

If you have:      Consider using:

Shared Port	  Switched Port
10mbit Port       100mbit Port
ISA NIC           PCI NIC

Intel Etherexpress Pro 10/100 cards go for around $70-80 nowadays, and
at the moment, I'm doing ~9Mbyte/sec over NFS on a pair of them.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com