Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:05:25 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best practices for ZFS setup for a strictly SSD based system?

Hi!

> Am 09.02.2016 um 17:32 schrieb Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>:
> [...]
> http://blog.delphix.com/matt/2014/06/06/zfs-stripe-width/
>=20
>> *       Will e.g. MySQL still profit from residing on a mirror
>>        instead of a RAIDZ2, even if all disks are SSDs?
>=20
> Yes, because a mirrored vdev has as many read IOPs as all of its disks
> combined.  So a RAID10 of SSDs will have many read IOPs indeed.

Ah =E2=80=A6 yes. Now I remember :)

> [=E2=80=A6]
> Will MySQL access its files in fixed-size records?  If so, you can set
> the recsize filesystem property accordingly.  If not, you should
> probably leave recsize at the default.  If you profile MySQL's disk
> accesses and determine that there is a dominant recordsize, then go
> ahead and set ZFS's recsize to the next highest power of two.
>=20
> As usual, disable atime.

We already knew these. But thanks a lot for the vdev setup
hints! So it will be a mirror for OS and DB and a 4+2 raidz2
for the rest of the data.

Our MySQL zvols are currently set up like this:

DB files:
	recordsize=3D16k
	atime=3Doff
	primarycache=3Dmetadata

InnoDB log files:
	recordsize=3D128k
	(rest inherited from above)

Kind regards,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285