Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:23:12 -0500
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating freebsd to a larger partition?

On Sunday, March 18, 2001 20:21:53 -0600, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
wrote:
+-----
| "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" writes:
| > On Saturday, March 17, 2001 20:27:37 -0600, David Kelly
| <dkelly@hiwaay.net>  > wrote:
| > +-----
| > | By any chance is there an issue with your MB BIOS and (presumably ATA)
| > | drives greater than 2G?
| > +--->8
| >
| > I think I mentioned da0s3... it's SCSI and there should be no such
| issues.
|
| You are right. I should have noticed that. Guess I got sidetracked by
| your mention of CHS.
|
| While I have moved operational installations of FreeBSD from partition
| to partition and/or drive to drive in the past with success (using dump/
| restore), I consider it worthwhile every 2 or 3 years to wipe and
| reinstall. A good way to "clean house". Finds cruft possibly left from
+--->8

Well, sure, but this was a new installation from a few weeks ago.

The problem is solved, by the way; it turned out to be two problems:

(1) My BIOS wasn't quite as smart as I thought; it doesn't do LBA.

(2) I am getting silent write errors (!) while copying.  Currently I have a
file-by-file compare and recopy going on.  (sym driver, -STABLE as of a few
weeks ago --- would have to check it when it's not comparing files from
single user mode...),

By the way, every time I fdisk a drive from freebsd it gets a different and
seemingly random geometry assigned to it; the SCSI BIOS whines about the
fact at boot because the resulting geometries don't have the expected
number of heads or sectors.  (It doesn't seem to have hurt anything,
though.)

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu