Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:05:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Converting an NIS client into a slave server

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Kurt Schafer wrote:

> Man, NIS is not the best documented service in the world when it comes to
> firing up slave servers. There doesn't seem to be any documented flag.

As a matter o' fact .. I am working on that :-)

> I have 3 machines I want to NIS. (actually they are NIS'ing) MachineA is
> acting as the NIS master and B and C are running as clients currently. I
> want to set up Machine B as a slave server rather than a client.

Ok....

> On the Master, I edited the ypservers file to look like this
>
> MachineA
> MachineB

 Correct.

> Then did a make to update the ypservers map in the /var/yp/domainname directory.
> I also commented out NOPUSH=TRUE to enable propogation of the maps.

 Ok...

> On machine B i removed the nis_clientflags, and set the nis_serverflags to ""
> (which loads up YPSERV)

 You still need nis_client flags. Or mabey not. If the machine that
 you are making into a slave is to bind to the same files, you have to
 have nis_client flags. If you are not binding to those files ( a
 rather weird configuration ) you should not have them.. My suggestion
 is to bind. Use somthing like:

nis_clientflags="-s -ypsetme"
nis_serverflags="-dns"

-s is secure.. only bind to servers running as root.
-ypsetme is a good idea if only that it will allow you to rebind your
server by hand. the "me" part says that only root on the localhost can
do that. It will still bind automagically

The -dns will check dns on the server before searching the host table
that is propegated.

> A make from the master results in the following error.
>
> "yppush: could not read ypservers map: 3 can't bind to server which serves this
>  domain"

 This is because you are not bound to anyone :-) which is why I say it
 is a good idea to run as a nis_client too.. you _can_ do it with out
 that but it is a pain in the patookus.

> Can anybody shed some light ? I'm guessing I have the format of the ypservers
> file incorrect. I just put the names of the machines I wanted to be servers
> on seperate lines.

 Nope that is correct.. I am working on some better documentation and
 manpages.. soon to follow.

  -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?