Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:24:34 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Tom Kersten" <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>, "Garance A Drosihn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: / is full!!!! Please help...

> --- Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
> > At 9:40 PM -0800 11/19/01, Tom Kersten wrote:
> > >Hello all,
> > >
> > >My root directory is getting close to being full
> > (97+%).
> > >It is 45 mb....is this too small??? I symlinked the
> > /var
> > >directory to /usr/var after installation and
> > thought that
> > >45 mb would be enough...it says that 30 is
> > sufficient in
> > >"The Complete FreeBSD"..so I put in a little more
> > just in
> > >case.
>
> I have symbolic links for both the /tmp and /var
> directories to /usr/tmp & /usr/var, those don't appear
> to be my problems. The majority of the space seems to
> be being hogged by the /root/.kde directory (& its
> subdirectories). Are these supposed to be in here???

If you're running KDE as root, then yes, since KDE will create a .kde file
in user's home directory (for root, it's /) to store user preferences and
whatnot.  You really shouldn't be using the root account as your day-to-day
account.  Create a normal user account for youself and use it instead of the
root account.  Normal user accounts are in /usr/home, so your .kde directory
won't eat up space on /.

--
Matt Emmerton