Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 1998 12:48:32 +1000
From:      Ashley <ashley@labyrinth.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problem :(

At 22:33 06/03/98 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Fri,  6 March 1998 at 22:13:35 +1000, Ashley wrote:
>> last week i purged my computer of Linux and installed FreeBSD. i had the X
>> Windows System up and running fine. a couple of days ago i upgraded to
>> FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE.
>>
>> after i did a "make world" and recompiled the kernel X is now causing me
>> problems. i can load X after i boot. however, if i then exit X, and try to
>> run it again the system hangs, requiring a reboot. i have no idea why this
>> is happening.
>>
>> any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
>One message is enough.
>
>What's your hardware configuration?

sorry about the two messages. the first bounced back.

anyway....

i reinstalled FreeBSD lastnight (not because of this) to increase my
FreeBSD partition
size. i decided to get X running before i upgraded to STABLE. the problem
occured with the 2.2.5-RELEASE.

when i tested FreeBSD for the first time before i switched from Linux, this
problem did not occur with 2.2.5-RELEASE. i am using exactly the same
hardware setup now as when it worked fine.

my hardware is :
STB Velocity video card (S3 VirgeVX)
PPro200
128mb RAM