Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:15:51 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>, Svein Skogen <svein-listmail@stillbilde.net>, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD

On Dec 14, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> "Svein Skogen" <svein-listmail@stillbilde.net> writes:
>> Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>>> That's a bet you're likely to lose - most of them are POS terminals,
>>> industrial control applications etc.
>> Add to that the lot of them that are running IPX/SPX protocol... ;)
>=20
> Damn you, I was this >< close to successfully repressing that memory!

I was avoiding to jump into this, but... Maybe this hilarious proposal =
will cure your pain, dude.

http://ietfdocs.potaroo.net/rfc/rfc1791.txt

I remember that around the early 90's  I read one of those peecee =
magazine authors (maybe Jerry Pournelle) asking the IETF to, please, =
drop that TCP/IP thingy and instead choose a standard, widely used =
protocol for the Internet: IPX.

Let me touch more bad neurons for you: X.400 :)

Borja.