Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:06:33 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options DPT_LOST_IRQ

>If it stops asserting the interrupt, we should get a stray interrupt
>reported when we go to clear the pending mask.  Is this what is happening?

No to the "should" statement.  Stray interrupts are only reported when an
interrupt goes away during the middle of an interrupt acknowledge cycle.
This should be extremely rare.  However, returning from an interrupt
handler a little too soon (only for broken/slow hardware?) may cause
a race between the device deasserting the interrupt and clearing the
interupt mask (the mask in the CPU or the PIC; it's on a different
device so their is no synchronization except for the CPU's guarantee to
serialize i/o).

Bruce