Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 1995 15:37:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Portsmeister!

> Yes, that's right.  Once you explain me what made you so cross-eyed
> about these post-* targets, I can go in and modify bsd.port.mk to
> include all the post-* targets (tg was asking for post-install, which
> I want too). :)

Well, I think it would be a lot easier if you first explained to me
how you intended on making post-* work.  It's not trivial, given the
way Make dependencies only "chain" in one direction!  Or have you
simply overlooked something I missed?  It's hard to say, which is why
I'd like to see your proposal before saying anything more! :-)

> This sounds good, but we have to assess what preparations people
> actually need.  It would be great if we can run it on an already
> "install"ed and "clean"ed directory too, in which case depending it on
> install is not a good idea.

I think it will end up being port-dependant and there won't be a damn
thing you can do about it. :-)

> do before actually installing them (and sometimes it's not very easy
> to uninstall a port once it's installed...fixing this is on my TODO
> list).

The harmonizing with pkg_*?  That would be very nice, yes.

> Well, as you said, we can just make it an echo target and let people
> modify them as they wish, but we should probably provide a reasonable
> explanation (and a few examples) on how to use them in the
> guidelines....

Yes, well, since you're working on the GUIDELINES _anyway_.. :-)

					Jordan