Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:16:19 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@vicor-nb.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   something changed in ssh?

Until recently I used to use ssh to "machine A" to forward
X11 sessions out of my office to home, however when we recently upgraded
it due to the security announcements, this stopped working.

"Machine A" does NOT have X11 loaded as it is a bastion host.
sshd now seems to be looking for xauth. But prior to this
it used to print out something about "spoofed X11 Athentication", and
worked anyhopw without xauth on the machine.

We do not want to load xauth onto the bastion host as it's job doesn't
require it and we are trying to keep the machine easily auditable.

Has something changed in sshd in this regard? I have spend several
hours looking through the sources and not found any hints as to how
this used to work in the past, or how to make it work now.

Any leads appreciated..

Julian