Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:38:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Verbose babble in if_fddisubr.c

Hi all,

i've just got a call by a customer who's using a DEC DEFPA FDDI card
now.  She told me that everything works fine (once i've pointed her to
the `pseudo-device fddi') but has been a little scared by some verbose
babble caused by the driver.

After digging around and looking up the error messages, it looks to me
that they've got all kinds of weird frames and packets on their wire,
so the following two printf's hit often enough:

(sys/net/if_fddisubr.c)

		default:
			printf("fddi_input: unknown protocol 0x%x\n", fddi_type);

	default:
		printf("fddi_input: unknown dsap 0x%x\n", l->llc_dsap);
		ifp->if_noproto++;

I think both printf's are merely nice debugging aids to see all the
garbage that flies along your wire :), but nothing to be dropped onto
a regular user.  I therefore suggest hiding them inside either some
#ifdef, or at least behind `bootverbose'.

--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch@interface-business.de       http://www.interface-business.de/~j