Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:22:58 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Merged patches

In message <4.2.2.20000125095042.01a5aba0@localhost> Brett Glass writes:
: This is a very, VERY concervative patch. As such, it
: doesn't include rate limiting of RSTs independently of
: ICMP_BANDLIM (which is really a different beast -- on
: a router, you might NOT want to limit ICMP but want to
: limit bandwidth).

THat's the point.  Yes, it is a conservative patch, but we're 4 days
from code freeze.  *NOTHING* is going to be radical at this point.

: The patch also does not prevent a
: non-SYN packet from matching a listening socket (this
: condition is caught later, but piecemeal with many
: individual tests; the coverage isn't comprehensive).
: And it does not shield the entire TCP stack from
: sending or receiving multicast packets -- just this
: path. It's still possible to emit a TCP packet with
: a multicast source or destination address after
: this patch. The source addresses of packets are still
: tested to see if they're muticast addresses in MANY
: places instead of in one place.... It seems to
: me that it pays to use a flag in the mbuf (as is
: done with B_CAST) to centralize the test. (A new
: flag called, say, SRC_B_CAST would do this. There's
: room in the flag word.)

By what code paths is this possible?  Please be specific.

: Also, in at least one place (maybe more), the code does
: multiple tests of the TCP option flags in succession.
: Several tests of this kind should generally be merged
: into a switch for speed (the many conditional jumps
: cause pipeline stalls on many processors, especially
: older ones) and readability.

It does?  If so, it certainly doesn't ADD them.

: In short, I'd only go with this patch as-is if my
: purpose were to minimize the changes made before
: release. If this were the goal, I'd go back to the
: code immediately thereafter and try to tackle some
: of the inefficiencies and holes in this key input
: path more aggressively.

Yes.  That's exactly the goal.

Like I said in my initial mail, I may remove the ICMP_BANDLIM option
as an option, but bump the rate limiter to 1000.  But that's about as
far as I'd be willing to go at this time.

Warner