Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 2009 02:03:41 -0500
From:      "kevin" <k@kevinkevin.com>
To:        <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   carpdev : bad value?

Hello,

I am currently evaluating high availability firewalls with carp
(7.2-RELEASE, PF) and have run into a problem that I would hope someone here
can explain for me.

According to OpenBSD's documentation on CARP, they allow an ifconfig carp
directive called 'carpdev', which allows you to manually specify which
physical interface you want to be associated with the redundancy group.

By default, according to the documentation, carp determines which interface
to add depending on if the carp assigned IP is in the same subnet.

Unfortunately, am having trouble implementing this directive :

# ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass password advskew 100 carpdev rl0
192.168.1.70/32 255.255.255.0
ifconfig: carpdev: bad value

The reason I need to manually specify this directive is because there will
be multiple physical interfaces that are on the same subnet, but would
either be on the inside or outside interfaces from the firewall perspective.

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD documentation actually omits any mentioning of
the carpdev directive so I thought maybe someone here could enlighten me as
to why I cant manually specify the physical interface.

This has been attempted on 7.1-PRERELEASE as well as 7.2-RELEASE.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin