Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 18:55:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys reboot.h src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c

> On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> Mike, regarding the disk, I can't remember if I made the disk I'm using
> right now "dangerously dedicated" or not, and there isn't, obviously
> (else I wouldn't be confused) any msdos partition.  Seeing as I don't
> dare make a mistake on this, and don't do all that much installation,
> would you kindly tell me exactly what I should do to find out if I have
> to change my fstab or not?

Update /sbin/mount at the same time as you build a new kernel this one
time.  If it emits a diagnostic when you reboot telling you that you
need to update /etc/fstab, then you should.

> I'm purposely omitting my fstab so that your answer will be general
> enough so that everyone will have no excuse for not reading your answer,
> and won't end up screwed if they make some messy mistake.

8)

> I am not sure what to look for in doing disklabel, to show me if the
> disk is dangerously dedicated or not.

You don't need to.  The problem is that there are pathalogical cases
where it becomes impossible to give an accurate answer without lots of
work on the part of the questioner.  The diagnostic from mount is an
unequivocal and absolute indicator.