Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:12:58 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        matt-sykes@excite.com (Matt Sykes)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 0.00% CPU for all processes

> I would very much like to know whether FreeBSD is fully functional on
> this machine.  That is, even though it appears normal except for the
> output from top and ps, is the kernel malfunctioning in some way?  Is
> it safe to use this machine as a router or firewall?
>
> kernel: 4.4-STABLE
> motherboard: P2L97-DS, dual Pentium II 300MHZ
>
> top shows 0.0% user, 0.0% nice, 0.0% system, 0.0% interrupt, 0.0% idle
>
> WCPU and CPU show 0.00% for all processes in top and ps.

Go and look in the old freebsd-smp archives for this message:

It is message by Tor Egge and describes the problem. I have the same
motherboard and that patch did the job. I'm running -current nowadays
and the code does not look like that anymore so i have changed the
patch for current, but I do not have new patches for -stable, so if
that doesn't aplly anymore you will have to tweak them by hand.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za