Date:      Fri, 05 May 2000 20:39:26 +0200
From:      Martin <Martin.Zibert1@guest.arnes.si>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   primary and secondary nameserver

Greetings..

I have some questions about primary and secondary nameserver. It's like
this: i have my box in network 194.x.207.* (i won't tell direct ip -
don't know why, i just won't :-). I want to have my ns set up. My ISP
told me that i must set primary ns and that they will set secondary ns.
At this point i would like to ask if i had configured my named.conf
correctly:
First there is
               zone "." {
                     type hint;
                     file "named.root";
               };
I don't know what that means, but lets say that's ok. BTW: what's that
"." for ? That, there is localhost
                zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
                           type master;
                           file "localhost.rev";
                };
.. this probably isn't right (i think so). I should remove
"0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" and replace it with "207.x.194.IN-ADDR.ARPA"
right ?

OK, after that there is

zone "domain.com" {
 type slave;
 file "s/domain.com.bak";
 masters {
  192.168.1.1;
 };
};

.. (this is copyed from default named.conf). So, if i want my primary ns
to be 10.0.0.1 (i made up this ip :-) i should edit that text to..

zone "mydomain.com" {
type master;
..than what ?.. should it be just like localhost or what ? If i am
picturing this correctly, for primary ns there should be just a line for
domain name, another line for type and another one for file where every
pointer, "A", "MX" is ? And for secondary ns there should be one line
for domain, one for type, one for file and another one for IP of the
primary ns ??
Of course IN-ADDR.ARPA is included..

OK, than there is another thing.. in config file for my primary ns i
typed:

mydomain.com.    IN    SOA    ns.mydomain.com

..and..

mydomain.com.     IN     NS   ns.mydomain.com.
mydomain.com.     IN     NS   ns.myispdomain.com.

..is this right ?? I want to have primary ns, but my ISP will have
secondary.. so is this configured right ?
And for later on.. i should define the ip of myispdomain.com right ?
Like..

ns.myispdomain.com       IN       A       193.x.x.66

.. is this OK too ?? And should there be another file for localhost ns ?

OK that would be all. Thanks to all of you who will help me.. I really
don't know how to set up this things..
Thanks for all the help again.

Bye.

Martin

P.S.: sorry about my english - it's very bad.