Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 23:12:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > What about making some of the basic sysinstall (or whatver) functions into
> > a shared library, rpm and librpm come to mind.  That way a command line
> > based installer could add its own menu on top of that, and a GUI one could
> > add it's own thing on top of that.  Plus, it would have an advantage of
> > seperating the UI and "low-level" stuff somewhat, so that bugs in one,
> > wouldn't necesarily force a re-compilation of the other.
>
> You can break this problem at any number of points, be it
> front-end/back-end, producer/consumer or message based with the UI
> running as a separate process. :-) However you choose to handle the
> complexity of multi-UI installer, it's not something you can just bang
> together in a weekend and that's the real problem.  Conceptual models
> we have *plenty* of.  The time to execute them, almost *none* of. :-(

Yes, that's true.  After poking through the sources for sysinstall, I
finally realized how intertwined it is with [lib]dialog.  *yikes*
However, I think at least some of it could be pulled apart, perhaps it'll
give me something to play around with.  Anyways, if sysinstall is going to
be completely rewritten, and there's been little progress (I hope you
get my drift) ;-)

- alex