Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 16:09:09 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        aVANTGUARD <avant@ausmac.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSUP'ing specific directories in ports/source

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 01:53:52PM +1000, aVANTGUARD wrote:
> $ cvsup -d anoncvs@wiretapped.net:/cvs get ports/net/samba #OR
> $ cvsup -d anoncvs@wiretapped.net:/cvs get src/usr.sbin/sendmail
>
> (Note this worked for the current release, if I wanted older releases, I
> added -rOPENBSD_3_0 for 3.0 for example)
>
> to get *specific* ports or directories from CVS.
>
> How can I do this in FreeBSD? (I've tried, with no luck) Do I need a
> specific server to support this sort of CVSUP'ing?
I'm not sure about the obsd ports system, but depending on how your
supfile looks freebsd uses a series of patches when cvsup'ing the ports tree (ie only the
diffs are applied to the files in the ports tree instead of cvs 'updating').

The depending factor is the tag you use in the supfile:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

Specifically:

Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some tags
are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify an
incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you probably
do not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-*
collections.

This is further explained in the man page for cvsup iirc... that manpage
describes the differences between CVS mode and Checkout mode for cvsup -
as I understand it the ports supfile is best employed in CVS mode (so
only differences to the current tree are updated), whereas CVS mode is
more for updating source code when you want to track a specific release
branch.

In general though I'm not sure why you'd want to update a single branch
of the ports tree - ok it saves time, but once you've done an initial
cvsup the subsequent diffs should be very few if you run cvsup fairly
regularly (at least once a week say) and the time taken to download the
diffs will be minimal.

Hope this information is fairly correct.

Actually as an afterthought have you checked out the cvsweb frontend?
There should be a link to it on the freebsd.org site.

I actually prefer:
http://www.freshports.org
which is useful for finding out cvs related info for individual ports.

Good luck,
Jez