Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 07:33:27 +0530
From:      shubhamr <shubhamr@malkauns.nsc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd doubts-please help

I have some questions.It wud be of great help if any of you can answer them.

1)I installed freeBSD4.5 ,but after I boot,the kernel messages keep on coming
(some
message on getty)and I am not able to even enter anything on the console.If
this is
because of me booting in wrong init level,
which init level am I supposed to be in and I how do I configure so that every
time
my machine boots,I am in the init level I intend to get into?

2)when I do a quick install,I have the src directory /usr/src/sys or
/usr/src/share and
so on.But when I did a standard install,these are not there and I have some 4
directories under /usr/src..these are secure,kerboros..and so on..what am I
supposed
to do with these.I tried to make them and was not able to make the
/usr/src/secure.even after makingthe kerber..,I did not get the usr/src/sys
tree or
anything...please tell me what all to do after i did the standard installation
so that my
FreeBSD OS looks like one..ie,with proper src trees.what are the various things
do..like in quick install I used to make world in /usr/src/...How is it when I
install in
standard way?,,what are the other makes to be made before my installed OS is
complete?

3) If drivers are compiled onto the kernel itself,do kldunload/kldload have any

relevance at all?I have an intel Network card and it does not ping/connect even
if I
do a kldload.Only when I reboot,it gives me the connectivity?why is this?How do
remove the drivers already built into the kernel?

4)where do I find the kernel prints log?where does the kernel print to as
/var/log/messages in Linux?what are these kernel prints?are they printk?

It wud be of great help if you can reply.I am literally begging for the same.

Thanks for your time,
shubha