Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:46:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does 'ad0: HARD READ ERROR' imply impending disk failure?

Hello,

I began to get a series of these errors in /var/log/messages this afternoon:

Jun 21 16:35:42 grover /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 13634000
 status=59 error=40
Jun 21 16:35:46 grover /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 13634000
 status=59 error=40

All up I've had about 20 at various different blocks.  Ironically, they
started when I began exercising the disk by tarring up parts of it for
backup.

Now, I'm happy to buy a new disk at a moment's notice, but could someone
just confirm my fear that this disk is on the way out before I spend the
money?  ie. it couldn't be due to, say, a bad IDE cable or a misconfigured
kernel config option, could it?

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net