Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:32:53 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
To:        "Crist Clark" <crist.clark@globalstar.com>, Nicole Harrington <nmh@daemontech.com>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Bryan <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>, Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

At 04:19 PM 4/10/2001 -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
>A classic debate/flamewar, should the vendor notify before the fix
>is available? Been discussed to death a zillion times, and I will not
>start it again, but most vendors (Sun, Cisco, Microsoft) do not release
>notices until a solution is available. In extreme cases, a notice /may/
>be put out if the vulnerability is publically disclosed, very serious,
>and some workaround is available.

In the case of an internal audit finding a new vulnerability or bug for
which a fix is not available and knowledge of bug not believed to be 'in
the wild', full public disclosure can be both inappropriate and harmful.

In the case of a publicly available bug (ftpd, ntpd, bind, foo), timely
notification is critical.  Even if no workarounds or fixes are
included.  My posts here are directed solely toward publicly aware bugs.

>--
>Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
>crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.
>(408) 933-4387                                FAX: (408) 933-4926

--chris