Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 11:27:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: promiscuous ethernet

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Andy Dills wrote:
>
> > Or, is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?
>
> DHCP? - automatic configuration of client machines, but you can specify
> their IP addresses, what gateway they should use (I'm guessing this is
> what you want it for) and get them to use a nearby DNS server, etc.
>
> As far as the client machines go, at most you need to turn their network
> configuration to use DHCP; a single checkbox on winders machines, and a
> lot of sites are using this these days so quite a significant number of
> laptops may already be configured to use DHCP.

This was the first thing out of my mouth when I was given this project. I
was told that this isn't acceptable, as the powers that be feel that the
people in question would be overwhelmed merely by being directed to open
up the TCP/IP properties. It's the kind of deal where we _really_ have to
cater to these people.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access