Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:30:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos and telnet, su, rsh....

On 17-Mar-98 Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Mark Murray once stated:
>
> =Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> => After I rebuilt the world with Kerberos support, things like
> => su, telnet, rsh stopped working, unless explicitly given the
> => ``-K'' option. I do not have Kerberos set up yet, but I remember,
> => that previosly in this cases I was just getting something "remote
> => side does not support Kerberos" or "not in root acl". Now the
> => programs hang for a while, then dump core...
>
> =Configure properly for Kerberos, or build without Kerberos.
>
> I believe this to be an unacceptable explanation of why things
> _crash_.  It is my understanding, that system utilities (as well
> as all well written programs, actually) shall never crash. Other
> then due to a hardware error, of course.
>
> I can accept, that the policy was changed from "warn but run" to
> "warn and do not run", but simple "do not run" (or "crash") is not
> acceptable.
>
> Surprisingly, nobody offered a better explanation. I'm afraid,
> people will install Kerberos on -stable and will rightfully complaint
> about ``su'' dumping core without saying a word.

You are right, of course.  Core dumping is normally a side effect of
invalid signal.  Invalid signal is one that the program has not notified
the kernel what it wants done with it.  It is a clear mark on unanticipated
error/exception.  I douby it is the planned-for reaction to unconfigured
Kerberos utility running.